The discussion is in the air: smoking vs vaping. From our point of view, it is pretty clear, but we want you to know everything about it as well.
We will detail below the main differences between smoking and vaping, not only of their components but also of the risks of each of them, which is very useful information for a better use of vaporisation.
SMOKING or VAPING
Smoking: trend or aversion? What are the actual risks of smoking?
The combustion is a chemical process of fast rusting which goes with the emission of low energy in the form of heat and light.
When you smoke a cigarette, temperatures up to 600 degrees Celsius might be reached in the ember when inhaling air.
This very high temperature allows the combustion of tobacco and the rest of substances that are added to fresh tobacco.
In the exhaled smoke several substances can be identified, among others:
● Cyanide of hydrogen
● Carbon dioxide
● Nitrosamines of tobacco
● Aromatic amines
● Oxid of nitrogen
● Signs of lead, selenium, arsenic, chromium, acrolein and formaldehydes, among others.
Most of these substances are carcinogenic and others are toxic in certain doses.
On the other hand, the quality of the paper and the filters has also an influence on it because in both cases might be more or less processed and, therefore, contain or not substances that are harmful too, in the case of the paper, during the combustion.
The information about the harmful effects of smoking is easily available and we all know the effects of this habit on health.
Despite this, in 2018 the consumption of tobacco has increased although it has decreased in the last 4 years.
Addiction to nicotine and other possibly addictive substances which can be found in tobacco creates a problem hard to solve. This puts at risk the health of the users and in many cases also of the passive smokers.
I want to give up smoking: what can I do?
We know it is not easy but if you really want to put an end to the problems of smoking, there are not many options:
- The best thing that smokers can do for their health is to give up smoking forever.
- There is plenty of evidence that shows that vaping products have much fewer risks than smoking cigarettes (about 95% fewer).
- The services of help to stop smoking should help vaping smokers to stop smoking permanently because the addiction is also a matter of habits.
Is vaping better than smoking?
Is vaping e-liquids healthier than smoking cigarettes? With no doubt the answer is YES because although it is not 100% innocuous, it reduces about 95% of the risks that derived from smoking.
When vaping e-liquids there is no combustion in any case, so there is no smoke but steam.
The principle of the vaping of e-liquids is simple: the resistor heats up the cotton which is impregnated in e-liquid and it generates steam which is inhaled and exhaled afterwards.
Nevertheless, we do not recommend vaping sub-ohm or vaping with very low resistors or high wattages. If you want to enjoy the taste and scent of e-liquids and to reduce the possible risks, we suggest following our philosophy.
Our philosophy of vaping is clear: to use resistors from 1 to 2 ohms and wattages around 15-30W, among other rules that we will show you below.
This way we achieved the following improvements in the vaping:
- The reduction of the possibility of the resistor reaching incandescence temperatures very fast, which ensures an optimal vaping temperature in which the generation of sub-products is minimal.
- The enjoyment of more intense and pleasant flavours and aromas.
- The healthiest vaping way, preventing from cough generated by high temperatures or toxic sub-products.
How can I vape in an appropriate way?
In addition to the high resistor and low wattage vaping which we have mentioned before, there are other pieces of advice or ‘vaping tips’ that with no doubt are strongly linked to our vaping philosophy:
- Maintenance of the vaping set. It is important to look after the different parts of the vaping set because otherwise we might come across unpleasant experiences:
- Changing the resistors on time prevents from the accumulation of waste in it, which provokes a more advanced deterioration.
- The cotton of the resistors has a limited life span and it cannot be lengthened eternally.
- If the cotton gets burnt because of the lack of e-liquid, you will notice it very quickly in the taste, but we also recommend that you change the cotton or the whole Pod periodically. In order to avoid that the cotton gets burnt, do not use the atomiser until 2-3 minutes after filling it up and keep always at least the minimum level of liquid in the atomiser tank.
- Clean the tanks regularly with warm water or propylene glycol and dry it well before every use.
- The quality of the e-liquid. Obviously, if you use a good quality vaping liquid, the possible risks will be always lower.
- We do not recommend vaping e-liquids with over 20% of glycerine, because the little risks derived from vaping are directly linked to the excess of the consumption of vegetal glycerine. An excess of vegetal glycerine might cause a lipoid pneumonia although the first diagnosed case was about someone who had consumed around 50 ml of e-liquid with high content of glycerine. What’s more, a high percentage of glycerine modifies the taste of the e-liquid.
Are there different qualities of e-liquids? Does it make any difference?
As for every product, there are differences, sometimes bigger than others, between the different qualities of e-liquids. The main differences of quality are found in the components and their formulation as well as their quality control, hygiene and safety.
From Cali Terpenes point of view, an e-liquid might facilitate the prevention of the vaping risks, so:
- Cali Terpenes e-liquids do not contain nicotine, only pure terpenes (cannabis aromas) added to the formulation.
- The formulation of our e-liquids consists of Propylene glycol and a small part of vegetal glycerine.
- They do not contain chemical flavourings, added sweeteners or any other toxic substances found in some other e-liquids of the market, which guarantees the quality of the product and the control of its components.
- Moreover, its formulation has the lowest content of vegetal glycerine in the market, which minimises again the possible risks derived from vaping.
- On the other hand, its formulation allows you to enjoy the flavour and scent of the best varieties of cannabis.
- Packed under strict quality and hygiene controls to guarantee the health standards of the final product.
If you have any further questions, contact our technical team by social networking sites, email or phone.
See you in our next post!
Dr Mariano García de Palau and Cali Terpenes team.